Saturday 15 December 2012

Winter Update


Winter Update:
At the Cabin, Golsfjellet

Another view from Cabin


I am sat here in the corner of the room, I remember this room from before. Another season in Futaleufu is being played out in a remote region of Patagonia. So how did I get here again?!

From my last entry I was sat in Sjoa, Norway. Not a bad place to finish off. And what a season I had there. Amazing country, scenery as scenic as here (Patagonia) but that’s the usual kind of stuff people have to say about places they visited.

If you are headed to Norway expect nothing to be cheap. Other than the Statoil coffee cup(200kroner) then after that free refills for the year. Spend at least two weeks there to see the Fjords, Geiranger being the most famous fjord (I think) but once there ENJOY. If you are taking public transport like the Train, Book in advance for the (minipris) discounted price. Or whether you are in Oslo do the tourist option that you can use all public transport and go to any museum for one day or multi day passes, that can be purchased in the tourist information office.
Flying into the country, apparently Norway has one of the Cheapest duty free in Europe. So that is the place to pick up your cheap booze and cigarettes. Try and be smart about it because if you are buying this stuff in the supermarket over the course of your trip, your bank account will definitely feel the pinch. Spending a few months there then think about brewing beer, you will become a better brewer over time.
Posing for the camera.

In Ireland, I was busy enough. As soon as I got home I was straight into family business. It was my nephews christening and my brother asked me to be godfather. So I have a godson to be looking after whenever I get home, if his parents need help that is.  I didn’t have a lot of time to hang out with my friends. I identified my first aid skills that were not up to scratch in Norway so I signed up for a Wilderness First Responder with Remote Medicine Ireland.
It was an exceptional course over nine days, for me it was pretty intense. The instructors were Ex-special forces paramedics and current Dublin fire brigade advanced paramedics. They taught us how to cope with casualties’ days away from help which is the perfect training for being in Patagonia. We learnt how to deal with Dislocations, current CPR, impaled objects in patients and cleaning wounds plus a lot more. For anybody in the outdoor industry looking for a course more than the standard Rec 3, this is the business.
Hot chocolate in Knutehytta, Kongsberg

After the course, Tora came over to Ireland to visit. Which was pretty sweet having her around and to do things with her. So we took the car and we went north to Donegal for a few days. There was a kayak competition on that weekend in Bun Crana. So it was even more motivation to go up and compete in the boater cross. The boater cross was on the Sunday so we cruised up Saturday late morning got a few laps in the section then headed for the hotel. The Course was pretty short for the advanced racers, racing a 20meters flat water section into class 2 water followed by a class 4 drop that required a clean left to right movement with a boof stroke at the lip cruise down then 20 meter flat sprint to the finish.
Sunday race day there were a lot of people competing, 40 competitors or so. The first two runs were time trails and the top six would race each other for the prize. I recall myself being second fastest on the course whooping some big mouths along the way. But the final didn’t really go to plan, I wasn’t that clean on the run into the drop and let Rob Coffey pass me before the drop(even to my shame because his boat was broken and full of water) so he came 3rd and I finished in 4th. Mickie Brennan cleaned the race from the start and took 1st. Roll on the next Bun Crana weekend.

Soon after I went back with Tora to Norway for some cross country skiing. I was pretty excited to try some skiing as I never really had the chance to give it a good shot. We got two full days and we did 12km in those days. First day I fell countless times, especially going downhill shouting to myself “Pizza, pizza, pizza” a term I picked up for slowing down. The second day was better, I didn’t fall so much and was getting to grips with the slowing down problem.

Thats a whale shark
I said goodbye to Norway again until next year, looking forward to new prospects working for Heidal Rafting again. I arrived back in Ireland and I was almost immediately packing for my southern summer in Chile. Flying to Santiago via Atlanta, I had a 9 hour lay-over in the states so I decided to go into the city (first time in the states), advised to see the Georgia aquarium and the Coca-Cola museum. Surprised that there was security to enter but I guess that what happens to a country that is insecure and that has endured so much. The aquarium was mean, really good. Perfect place for a family day out, In the tanks there was Whale sharks, sting rays and all sorts of sharks. It was a multi species aquarium, a good way to waste some lay-over time.
The Coca-cola museum wasn’t bad, it didn’t have a lot in it that was of interest to myself. Some of the cool things it did have was a “taste the world” style that was different soft drinks from all over the world. “Coca-cola freestyle” was recently introduced explained the guide, basically you could make your own drink. For example, mixing vanilla coke, Fanta and cherry coke. On the way out, there was a complementary bottle of coke (happy days!)

Two Whale sharks

Thats John, the fella that created Coke

Make your own drink




Pucon, Volcan Villarica


First ever thanks-giving. not bad
This year working for Expediciones Chile on the Rio Futaleufu and it is pretty exciting to be working on a world class river again. Before I cruised down to Futaleufu, I spent a week in the kayak destination of Pucon. Pucon was having a dry year in terms of water levels. I arrived at Pucon Kayak Hostel at night and david explained to myself that the next morning they were going to the Rio Fuy  (which was an amazing river to start my trip). We were paddling with the Go Huge kayak school for the day. It was sweet to see some of these kids styling the river with no fear, a lot of talented kids that are the future of this sport. In the morning we paddled the Lower Fuy, a nice biggish volume run that had some nice “S moves” behind some holes. It was a fun run that also kept you on toes because it had some meaty holes that could beat someone unexpectedly.

Salto Palguin 80footer
After the Lower Fuy run, we went back to a hostel to get some lunch, a three course meal (salad, cazuela and desert) for 3000 clp around €5. Cazuela is a traditional Chilean (maybe argentine aswell?!?) meal that is a soup dish that has chicken, vegetables and rice. The perfect after river meal! We headed out in the afternoon to run the Upper Fuy because the middle was too high to run. The Upper Fuy was probably the best river I have paddled in Chile. I knew the Fuy was one of those glems that I wanted to tick off my list of rivers to run here. It is a technical run full of boofs over pour overs (a small drop, where water goes cleanly over a rock and at the bottom is a hydrolic, hole which is washing machine effect at the bottom.) 
It also had a 25-30 foot waterfall that was clean with a super soft landing.After this drop the river got very continuous with more drops (3-4 meters). Let me put it this way, You would not want to swim this part of the section! Lucky enough we were being lead down by one of the Go Huge guys. The rest of the week, we basically lapped the upper Palguin (3 nice drops in a very short section). One of the days we paddled with the Bomb flow boys, where I saw Evan Garcia firing on all cyclinders and paddling the whole river without portaging. It was good to see these guys at the top of our sport dedicated to styling lines and also documenting their adventures.
Thanks to the Bomb flow guys for showing us down the Palguin!

And now I am here in Futaleufu, where the weather has been crap the whole week, down pour of rain. That has been my past 2months, some of it has been skimmed over but that is the winter Update. 
aqua-planning out after second drop

First drop on upper palguin
Boof to swim, upper/middle palguin
Evan Garcia on Boof to swim


20footer off the lip
All these photos were taken by my i-phone and gopro hd

Clean lines out there folks. 
Pura Vida

1AdventurousLife

No comments:

Post a Comment